« Loading times »

Off Topic, Questions, Comments, anything you can think of that doesn't fit somewhere else. Post it here.

Loading times

Postby Rokan on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:05 pm

idk if its just me but does anyone else have loading times over a minute? cause when ever i go to the bigger planets it takes forever to load and the process stops working for alittle bit. if anyone would know why this is happening let me know
Rokan

Re: Loading times

Postby Splaktar on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:12 pm

I've had this too and a couple times now I've had to kill the client after waiting 20+ minutes. Before the servers went down today, I logged into a pure black screen. The UI was there and working, but the game screen was pure black. Killing the client and restarting seemed to fix it, but very odd. I've seen some other UI bugs as well. Ctrl-U seems to help, but usually hasn't fully fixed all of my issues (so I need to restart the client and hope for no queue).
Splaktar

Postby Ruana on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:29 am

That happened to me while Bones and I were in a Flashpoint. My computer BSOD'd and when I got back in, black screen save the UI elements. I did have a 160 person queue to get through first. Control+U twice to reload the UI gave me flashes of the screen, but I couldn't move (could spin in place) and nothing else. I ended up exiting the flashpoint, but we got back in and the screen was fine after that.

Then later I crashed to the desktop while sending my companion on a mission, and I ended up back in a 160 person queue to get in, so I went to bed (this was Sunday night).
ImageImage
Ruana

Postby Splaktar on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:15 am

Logged in this morning at 9am EST to do some quick crafting and found an 84 person queue and 20 minute wait (they quoted the wait as < 10 mins). This was with about 20 new servers listed as 'Light'. I bet this Thursday/Friday/Saturday is going to be rough on the queues.

Oh and when I hit the black screen thing, I /bug'd it, but I dunno if that will help with a fix or not. I imagine that they are working on a lot of fixes atm. I keep seeing crew skills from my other characters on the wrong character (and non-functional) too. Seeing a lot of issues now that I didn't see in beta.
Splaktar

Postby ReiToei on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:22 am

Rokan wrote:idk if its just me but does anyone else have loading times over a minute? cause when ever i go to the bigger planets it takes forever to load and the process stops working for alittle bit. if anyone would know why this is happening let me know

What's your CPU, Rok? I've noticed the same thing... Loading my ship is okay, and the Fleet Station isn't bad, but other places like Nar Shadda and *especially* Tatooine take a LONG ASS TIME to load. It's pretty ridiculous, TBH.

I've wondered if it's because I've got a 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Wolfdale processor instead of a Quad-Core i5 or i7. My HD is a reasonably fast 7200 rpm Caviar Black, so I don't think that's a serious bottleneck (though an SSD would be faster). Since loading times are a factor of non-GPU systems, I think it's just that my CPU is underpowered. I might be looking at a whole new build in the new year.

Edit: in case you haven't seen it, this Tom's Hardware article on TOR performance, while focusing on FPS, does indicate that a Quad- outperforms a Dual-Core CPU in TOR, if only a bit: "Really, any quad-core chip will suffice. Or, you could go with a dual-core processor running faster than 2.5 GHz."
Reitoei: 50 Sorcerer | Rei-Toei: 50 Mercenary | Reiz: 13 Juggernaut | Rei'd: 7 IA
Rei'toei: 14 Scoundrel
ReiToei

Postby Actionfiguredan on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:35 pm

My 2 bits:

I'm running a quad core cpu along with an ATI HD6950 and the game rolls pretty smooth for me

Email from Juda, "I hope you die"
Bringin' in bounties for the Galaxy since '11
Actionfiguredan

Postby Splaktar on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Quad Core 6600 w/ Nvidia 8800 GT here. Most of the time things are pretty smooth and load times are 30s-1min (15-30s on ship). But sometimes there seems to be a glitch or after man hours of play the performance seems to degrade. I need to get some temperature monitors turned on so that I can see if I'm overheating at all. Hopefully Nvidia has the new drivers out that don't crash the control panel every time it opens... most of my issues seem to be client or server issues with the game as opposed to hardware related.
Splaktar

Postby Karack on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:59 pm

I have definitely noticed some load time problems, I figured it was my PC since it is pretty old--only dual core etc...Been thinking of upgrading, Thanks for the link again Rei!

-Karack/Marik
Karack-Mercenary, Zoji-Sith Sorcerer, Marik
Karack

Return to General Chat