« Server Maintenance »

Off Topic, Questions, Comments, anything you can think of that doesn't fit somewhere else. Post it here.

Server Maintenance

Postby Filthy Jawa on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Google, Amazon, and other server dependant online businesses do not ever go down for mainenance. Why do MMOs? Or more specifically, why SHOULD MMOs? It seems since they already have our money, and don't have to be up every moment to continue their revenue stream, they don't mind shutting down at all. Am I incorrect in thinking the shutdowns could be avoided?
Filthy Jawa

Re: Server Maintenance

Postby Rev on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:41 pm

i think its a bit more to it than compared to it retail sites, between software/hardware updates (potential for bugs/unforseen technical instances. Physical maintenance on the servers, infrastructure are a few other non-trivial tasks also that are prob pretty routine to deal with during the downtime (especially with evaluating the server performance, ex. helping with the que issue some servers are having). I can totally understand and respect your eagerness in playing asap, enjoy these relaxing moments of downtime, I have a feeling this game will eat up a good chuck of our next decade...

edit: bad engrish after working all night...(to lazy to fix it)
Rev

Postby Gutrot on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:24 pm

The only frustrating part for me is when they don't hit their own timeframes. Haven't they ever heard, "underpromise and overdeliver"? :)
Gutrot

Postby Filthy Jawa on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:25 pm

today was my only day off this week. Very disappointing to lose 80% of my playtime. Now I have to fit a whole weekend worth of killing into 3 hours. :shock:
Filthy Jawa

Return to General Chat